Tuesday, February 18, 2014

In to the Structure of Research

National Workshop on Advanced Data Analysis and Structural Equation Modelling, Avinashilingam University, Coimbatore 10-02-2014 to 17-02-2014, A Valedictory

The landmark Chicago speech of Swami Vivekananda in 1853 starts like this "it fills my heart with joy unspeakable to rise in response to the warm and cordial welcome which you have given us........." When I stand at the end of this remarkable event ever in the research fraternity, I do have a same feeling. When our heart becomes full, our words are few.......... But it is my responsibility beyond that pleasure and privilege to say a few words on comprehensive, impressive and innovative work shop in Advanced Data Analysis and Structural Equation Modelling (SEM). 

To call a spade a spade, this was spectacular, splendid and superb which discussed from alpha to omega on research and data analysis. Though I came here with the notion of knowing SEM, the hair splitting reviews on all the major concepts of research provoked my mind and ignited my thoughts; that was absolutely mind blogging. 

If we start to build an edifice without a strong foundation, all our efforts become vain or futile. This understanding of the organizers may be the reason behind choosing a most venerable and veteran in the research community Prof. (Dr.) M. Suresh, Department of Statistics, Tamil Nadu Agriculture University, Coimbatore, who effectively linked all the theoretical concepts and fruitfully described all the  nitty grittiess of parametric tests, non-parametric tests, correlation, regression and SPSS Application - which was not only an eye opening session but also an intellectual masturbation.
Though a little bit hurry, Prof. (Dr.) K. T. Geetha made a round-up on Factor Analysis, Descriminantal Analysis and Reliability Test. I think that session would have been much better, if the organizers tried to find suitable slot for her convenience. Dr. N. Ramkumar's, (PSG Institute) version on validity, reliability and the introduction of an innovative tool to determine the sample size G-Power flashed a lime light to the mind of participants.
The passion, power and spirit of Prof. (Dr.) Krupa will not be faded from my memory because he delivered her maximum to propagate the  reliability of Visual PLS. When I personally talked to her, I realized the value of a good teacher who always open their window of knowledge for the welfare of others. She also reiterated that our attitude towards learning make a difference. I have deep respect, love and affection towards her perseverance, politeness and her urge to share his expertise for the improvement of research. 
Amongst all Prof (Dr.) Maran and Prof. Ravi Kumar (VIT) meticulously explained  the most soughted theme of the work shop SEM and AMOS. When Dr. Maran striven to make others to think, Prof. Ravi Kumar actually stolen the show by depicting his conceptual clarity, strong delivery and well versatile knowledge on statistics. Without any shadow of doubt, I can say that none of us in our group have left with out gaining hands on experience and sufficient knowledge on AMOS and CFA, EFA, Time Series, Multi Dimensional Scaling and Mediation. I think, it will not not be wrong if I say that, no one can explain on this much better than what Ravi had did. 
I don't want to prolong, but it will be incomplete and ineffective if I ignore certain extraneous but crucial factors that decorated this event with rainbow colours. I have been tempting to express my heartful appreciation to the organizers from the very beginning, but I suppressed it just to keep the beauty continue till the end. People often say there will be a women behind every success. What ever may be the truth, it is true at least in this case where two dedicated and committed women Prof. (Dr.) Santhi and Prof. (Dr.) Vimala consistently  strived to make everything marvelous through their Midas touch. Though they were very busy with the arrangement of the work shop, they responded to all my queries without any delay. With their sheer determination, courage and dedication, they proved that they are better managers than anyone, and also they are a big asset to this university and students. 
I have been observing from the very inception, almost all members of this institution seek blessings from the God Almighty through all their words and deeds. There is no question in the fact that, the real existence was with us through out the program by empowering our hands.
There are some people always behind the curtain; I mention about the technical savis of the Microsoft lab, they kept everything in an apple pie order and never made as to wait for a second due to any technical inconvenience.This is absolutely an incredible work. Awesome and fantastic.........
I always try to find some mistakes wherever I go. But when I reached here, my critic's eyed turned blind because I hardly found any space to lodge a complaint against anyone. Right resource persons, well maintained facilities, art of the excellence infrastructure, sumptuous food and above all incredible hospitality of the students of Avinashilingam. I am totally impressed with the behavior, care and professional approach of students, who were omnipresent by lending their hands for help wherever required.
I am very happy to see a number of people having well experienced knowledge in research, their advice and suggestions helped me to impoverise my research and to clarify my doubts. True from the heart I take this opportunity to thank my dear respected teachers and fellow friends.
Last but not the least, it was a unique experience for me to to be here in a women's only University where I enjoyed, cherished and experienced the beauty of this vibrant campus. 
Let me conclude by quoting Paul the Epistle, "  If I speak in the tongues of mortals and of angels, but do not have love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give away all my possessions, and if I hand over my body so that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing". As professors or academicians, we should express our love by disseminating our knowledge, wisdom and expertise for the welfare of others. It is always very vital to remember that, knowledge only multiplies and not reduces while we share. Today I pledge, I will try my level my best to share everything I learn t from here by sharing it with my friends. Let's arise, awake and go. Let's stand up and speak out for the scientific research and be a herald for goodness.
From the bottom of the heart, once again thank one and all and best of luck.

(Paul V Mathew is a Research Scholar at the School of Management Studies, Cochin University of Science and Technology, Kerala) 


No comments:

Post a Comment