Friday, December 12, 2014

TWIN SISTERS FROM THE HIGHLAND; SMILE IN THE LACKLUSTER LIFE

TWIN SISTERS FROM THE HIGHLAND; SMILE IN THE LACKLUSTER LIFE

“This was at the first time; their mother disclosed a hard truth. With wiping tears, she moved with compassion and embraced her children. Her throught stumbled and said “my days are counted, should leave you soon”. Anitha and Athira, the twin sisters shocked for a moment and paced to the corners of their small house. They broke down. I could never take a trip down the memory lane without my eyes welling up with tears with these loving children’s stories, hardships, and miseries all resonating in my inner self”.

Aspiring Minds
Suppressing their worries they always greet us with charming smiles. As their voice, they exhibit compassion and affection to everyone. The story of Anitha and Athira, twin sisters at the government Tribal Higher Secondary School is entirely different from others. Both of them are in second year commerce batch specialized in the certification of Banking and Finance. They stay with her parents and an elder brother who works in Trivandrum. Their father engaged in rubber tapping whereas mother is a beneficiary of Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA), despite her chronic illness. 

Painful Moments 
It was at the first time; their mother disclosed a sad truth. She was trying to control her erupting emotions. Proving true the words of Voltaire “every man is a walking volcano”, with tears rolling on her cheeks, she moved with compassion and embraced her children. With a stumbling block, she said “my days are counted, should leave you soon. This is the first time I unravel this sad fact before my children”. Anitha and Athira were seen slowly pacing towards the corners of their small house and weeping with deep agony. I could never take a trip down the memory lane without my eyes welling up with tears with these loving children’s stories, hardships, and miseries all resonating in my inner self.
It was around seven years ago, that bad luck started to haunt them. Followed by a heart stroke, Lalitha – their mother became weak and sluggish. After a few years, the same ill-health shattered their family very badly. Hence forth, Lalitha stopped to go for working outside. But her background tempted her to find some source for sustenance. Expenses for treatment and medicine, housing loan from the bank, and education of her beloved kids worsen her worries and miseries. Even though their father stationed somewhere away from the home and work as a rubber tapper, that was not sufficient for anything; being he spends a good sum of money for beverages. When I asked them about their father and brother, they kept a long silence. However, ignoring her bad health and weakening soma, still now, Lalitha works as an MNREGA beneficiary, only for the love of her children. Anjali and Anitha try their level best to ameliorate their situation by taking tuitions. When Anjali and Athira wish to go for higher study, their mother is at her wits end, not even capable to think about next day. “Being an individual who finds unease to meet the both ends of life, cannot dare to dream. I can’t even imagine the day they marry. We have huge liabilities that cannot be settled with our meager income. I at least want to see my children stand independent with a job, before my last breath”. Laitha said. 

Rays of hope
ASAP was a blessing to them. “My score for English was only 52%. After I joined ASAP, it got enhanced to 71%” said Athira. She continued; “ASAP is an excellent program. When I joined in ASAP, I had an inhibition to speak English. But now I overcome that fear and able to speak English fluently”. When Angali feel very proud of her sister, she also has a number of things to comment on ASAP. “I was very shy and introvert. I was neither confident to speak publically nor equipped to communicate properly to others. Additionally, I was very afraid to travel especially to distance places. But ASAP evaded all my fears and helped me to stand independent and speak boldly. Opportunities to attend skill courses away from my home place dared me to travel, and provided me an opportunity to interact with students from diverse backgrounds. That really contributed to melt all my fears and shyness away from my premises. Now I am very confident about myself”. 

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment