Monday, July 1, 2013

My Interview

what you do and what your main interests are Paul V Mathew - born and brought up in a rural village as a son of agriculturists parents. Midst miseries and worries, I manged to complete my schooling and graduation. The experience and learning made me a tough man to think for the well being of humanity. While doing my post graduation (MBA), I started a village development organization for the growth of students that was a grant success. Inspired by' the concept 'sustainability', I was associated with Responsible Business, Kerala Tourism and Corporate Responsibility Initiatives of MACFAST. Now I am doing PhD and managing a NGO.
Please tell us something about your cultural background A youth always strives for personal development and think about the nuances of social issues, aims for the creation of sustainable village. I am from the hinterland of a rural village in Kerala (India) where nature and community mutually coexist - a place of harmony, peace and integrity. My parents are deeply involve in the fostering and nurturing of agriculture and livestock. Albeit poverty and hunger was the part and parcel of my life, I believed - compared to my fellow beings, I am a blessed.
Our village depicts the richness of Kerala culture. Sacred groves. Agriculture is the main source of income. People live together without bothering caste and creed. It is education made our society rich in thinking and debating. All my schooling were in a government school. Faith in God is the and believe in the existence are the unique feature of our culture. I strongly believe, it is education that enlightened me and it is experiences that gave me visions and missions for humanity.
But the traces of development affects our environment too. The lack of environmental consciousness and selfish nature of individuals now in a mood to obliterate our real richness.
What experiences have you had of interacting with people from other cultures? What have you learnt from this? I have visited different states in India and experienced the theme 'unity in diversity'. While comparing us with other cultures, we are blessed to an extent. The progress of Human Development Indicators are commending in Kerala.
In the other side, many states are performing very weak in the development of social indicators. But they are very much concerned about their culture, environment and heritage. The art forms, festivals and life style are charming. While encapsulating symbolically, North is beauty, South is brain, West is emotions and East is festivals. I always worry about this regional disparity in a country which got independence 6 decades ago. I realized that it is education that changed our lives. From the very beginning literacy rate in Kerala was remarkable that gave us a fortune to know and understand our rights and privileges.
I wish to follow some well nurtured systems in the West - a convergence of individual and social development, in other worlds a triple bottom line (tbl) approach. This is a need of the hour for our community to achieve high growth in human development and social development. The holistic approach of Millenium Development Goal seems most attractive.
Please tell us about any interesting projects that you have been involved in (e.g. community activities, volunteering, social enterprises, roles in organisations, etc.). What motivated you to be involved in these activities and what have you learned from your experiences? All my projects are concerned with socio- economic and environmental development. The most challenging and interesting project I involved is Responsible Tourism - Kerala. I was the State Team Leader of the Project.It is the first ever coordinated initiative in India to implement the concept of Responsible Tourism (RT) in field level. RT It aims at maximizing economic benefits of community, minimization of negative environmental impact and the preservation and promotion of local art, craft, heritage and culture.
At my graduation period my active and inquisitive mind was naturally drawn towards the various facets of social issues. This deep concern and worry has played a key role in the formation of my ideas and principles. This was the driving force behind joining for internship in a social project. Before completing the project, the COO of the organization invited me to join in the project.
I realized that a coordinated and planned initiative can do a big impact in the lives of common people. Youth and Women can contribute a lot for the growth of local economy and they too can make tremendous changes in the area of environmental conservation. This was the inspiration behind my NGO.
Do you feel that you have experienced any important realisations and turning points in your life? Please describe why these have been important to you. Yes I do feel. I would like to encapsulate it in two E's.
1. Education
2. Experience
Let me quote a Sanskrit saying
"Acharyal Padam Adathe Padam shishya Swamedaya
Padam Swa braham charibhya Padam Kalakramenaathu"
I was a naughty boy in my primary classes. At the age of 13 one teacher advised me with great affection and love. That was a turning point in my life. A repentance as well as a revival forced me to move ahead. I realized - a consistence effort and perseverance are vital for success. But the experience and reflections from the job motivated me to take bold decisions. I am extremely indebted to my colleagues and seniors.
In Bible there is a saying "When vision vanishes people perish". This was a learning for me. Education removes darkness and enlights people, this is my experience. Education pushed me to read, learn, discuss and think. But it is vision that we should impart for our society. The concept can read from the quote of Kuan Chung
"If you plan for a year, plant a seed.
If for ten years, plant a tree.
If for a hundred years, teach the people".
WYSE believes that leadership begins with true self-awareness leading yourself first before others. a) What are your thoughts on this belief? b) Can you think of an example of this in your life? This is statement is rightly applicable in business leadership. But in social leadership we should add one more awareness - that is 'others'. True leadership is the awareness of 'the self and the 'other'. The ethical principle of Emmanuel Levinas “the face of the Other makes me responsible” explains that a leader should understand the potential of his 'self' (Self Esteem) and the needs/aspirations/desires of his followers (other self). It is pertinent to read that the 'the other' also has a wide dimension - i.e. future generations. Only a leader who understands the future can work with clear visions, and no leader can create legacies without proper vision and missions.
Mahatma Gandhi - He was very aware about his weakness, but was courageous to dominate it by a long lasting vision for rural India- still we remember him as the Acharya of 'Non Violence'.
Billgates/Steve Jobs - Both are from a feeble background,but they flew as a phoenix. Later Bill Gates said "If you born poor its not your mistake but if you die poor it is your mistake".
They realized their self and the other. Bill Gates, Steve, Marck Zukerberg etc. contributed for the humanity. Why Warren Buffet, Alfred Nobel, Bill Gates turned to charity? at the culmination of wealth, they realized that it is 'service' that only gives a real meaning to life. This is hard but a true realization - to know the self and know the 'other'.The experiences of Mother Theresa, Nelson Mondale, Martin Luther, Abraham Lincoln, Edison and Newton say a similar story.

I had only feeble dreams in my childhood. But when I grown up I started to dream big, then I realized that I should plan properly to achieve my big dreams. Here my leadership skill emerged. I have a passion for social development, I have a flavor for leadership, I can motivate people, I can implement projects .... But unless I start to work in the field I can't be a leader or a master.
There is no leader without a team. I was not born as a leader, but I imbibed the flavor of leadership through interpersonal process. My friends and colleagues corrected me and I learned from great leaders. The process was like this
1. Idea/Mission/Goal
2. Identification of Limitations/drawbacks (Self Awareness)
3. Continuous Evaluation and Correction

It is only incidents that forced me to take leadership. First I took the leadership of my life, that helped me to develop a collective goal. The collective goal was in the wake of knowing the 'other'.
While I decided to start a student organization in my village, I thought that I can execute it personally, but later I understood that leadership is an art of making others to do things. Also participation is the success of a team and a fundamental quality of a leader. This reflection (self awareness of individualism) promoted me to shed the ego and clad or hail the 'other'.
What are your goals for the future and how do you think undertaking the WYSE International Leadership Programme will help you achieve your goals? My goal is to become the Secretary General of United Nations (UN).
While articulating, he is the spoke person of the humanity, leader of the UN and the head of the UN principle organ. Above all he is the 'world moderator'.
My Plan is like this
1. Clearing Union Civil Services
2. Join a world renowned foundation or NGO
3. Establishment of Indian Versions
4. Become a Key resource person of UNDP
5. Decorate the position of UN Secretary General

This challenging dream needs tremendous efforts. I should understand the diverse culture of countries, gain exposure, interact with world leaders and obviously learn the nuances of development pattern of the world.
As an international organization, international experience is vital for acclaiming this goal and new thinking, innovative ideas, strong leadership and outstanding vision are essential. The platform International Leadership Programmes opens me an opportunity to strengthen my dreams. This 12 day intensive training comprises of cultural exchange, religions and socio-economic discussions certainly bring the young minds of the world together. Getting involved with an international learning community is a rare opportunity and this global platform will inspire me to continue with my never ending frisson. I hope the discussions, debates and interactions with the global community is an excellent venue for me to understand the real issues of the globe.
What do you feel you will be able to contribute during the WYSE programme? How will this benefit yourself and other participants? Certain that only ignited minds will reach there. Along with contributing, benefiting from the world leaders is my soul intention. The quote “Man often becomes what he believes himself to be. If I keep on saying to myself that I cannot do a certain thing, it is possible that I may end by really becoming incapable of doing it. On the contrary, if I have the belief that I can do it, I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it even if I may not have it at the beginning.” of Mahatma Gandhi is my real motivation. If he can conquer the world I too can.I consider this leadership program as a keyturn that will give the wings of fire. While penetrating the roots, I should fly high. With pain, tears, love and passion - this will be a 'turning point' to this young man and tomorrow I will proclaim if I can everyone can do it.
India is known by grass root leaders, most of them are from humble back grounds. This should be the inspiration for the whole world. I can give you the true story of my national leaders, I can give you the aspirations of our mentors and I can offer you the concept of a sustainable village. Let's " Live, Learn, Love and Leave a Legacy".

No comments:

Post a Comment