Saturday, February 14, 2015

My Firsthand Bribing Experience

It was a rare coincidence; when people all over India enthralled over the historic verdict in the Delhi election, being an individual carries ideals of AAP close to the heart had a different and an appalling experience.

“I will never bribe anyone and never ask for undue favors at any circumstances”, that was my decision. It is only words that we can change; sometime it becomes right to many. Though I never bribed anyone; now I changed my decisions; “I will never bribe* anyone for my personal purposes”.   Here is a story I forced to grease hands of government employees.

(*honestly persuading for legally valid purpose and not dishonestly persuading for undue favors)

The incident happened in a hinterland of a hilly region. I was at this office representing another government department to process a few papers for building a capacity building centre for poor local people. The paper from the district collector was being pending for four months.  Whenever I      came, they will say; we will expedite. But nothing happened after four months. Being it was a project directly involved by the MLA, we had a meeting with MLA and government officials. Next time I approached the officer, he said, the file is now taking care by another officer. I moved to him and enquired. Laid back in an offensive mood he asked; which file? What project? Where were you for all these days? (Remember, that was my 16th visit to this office). I have no idea. I replied; sir, I have the file number. Instant answer came; the person who handles the file is on leave. When I was trying to emphasize the social cause behind the project by hinting that we both are government officials having any self interests, he stared at me and expressed his displeasure.

Next day I again visited the office and enquired about the file. No improvement in the situation but had a little hope; “your’s file except all is missing”.   That was a hint. As a stream in the desert, a couple of dynamic young officials intervened to find the files. At last, they found it. What a relief! I thought, we have hope in this generation, cheers to young India! But the senior demagogue was not in a position to hand over the files; I desperately needed a copy. Another node from the youngsters – it is better to give him ‘something’ to get things done.  I was without any clues being I never had an experience of bribing. But I had a huge pressure from the office to complete processing the file. Youngsters again reiterated, “remember to offer him something”. Being these young officials are expected to handle this file next, I had no other option but to obey them.

While I was attempting to grease his hands, he was very reluctant; but I have to complete the process before the dead line.  He said “no, all these are wrong”. When I extended my hands to his pocket he stood like a sheep before shearers. Then only I realized – they never receive offers in their hand. (I know a police officer who built his entire house with bribe; cement, sand, furniture, and even calves). I thought, things will move very fast henceforth. But, he made me to wait there and went outside; seconds, minutes and hours gone. Great agony erupted to my mind, not a quiet peace in mind and a deep feeling of guilty, that really augmented when a lady near to me shared “I don’t know how many times I visited this office, they are not in a position to help me. But I will never give a single paisa to them; if I give they will continue with the same”.  I lamented, if a government representative like me faces such a trouble to get something done, what about this poor and helpless people? I saw them shouting and crossing at many marginalized citizens.   I cursed the officer many times along with them the whole time.

After a long time, the same youngsters approached me and enquired about the status. Desperately, I elaborated. However, they managed to found him.  He said; we have the files; but one is still missing. Then I moved to a nearby Xerox centre to take the copies and to the food corner for lunch along with six officials; they made me to pay the whole money. In between, young officials enquired about the funding sources and promised me to find the files. As a bolt from blues, the same guys I proud for a moment ago turned upside down. They said; “we can help you to complete the process before the dead line, but it requires cost. Let’s know your feedback about the amount of money you can give”

I didn't sleep the whole day. Waves of sadness encircled me, a mind of full guilty consciousness and helplessness; with excruciating pain I gave up the hope of a cleansed system in this generation.


Deciding to report to the higher officials or vigilance seems not a solution to my mind. It is people should respond vehemently. Also. along with Right to Information (RTI), we need Right to Service asa per Citizen Charter in a time-bound approach. I thought of initiating a ‘corrupter rating index’ - an online portal to rate and comment on government officials. Though I know many senior officials personally and have made numerous submissions in front of them; it becomes an elusive game and emerged as not a panacea. Can someone help me to develop an online mechanism to rate and comment on the performance of government officials? I think it may be an index of good governance; when people overtly commented on a particular official, he may be forced to withdraw from such unfair practices at least to save his face. 

****************************
He that is greedy of gain troubleth his own house; but he that hateth gifts shall live.

Let the bribers end with a terrible disaster. 

No comments:

Post a Comment